This is the chance of a lifetime to get in on the ground floor of a strategic digital agency. The Garrigan Lyman Group (GLG) is looking for an office assistant to keep the wheels greased on office operations and support GLG’s rock-star people development team. You may be hailed as a hero for fixing the copier ahead of a client presentation or arranging for a client’s lightning-quick ride to the airport. You’ll be introduced to the workings of the entire business, the kind of experience money could never buy.
Here’s how you’ll know you’re successful in this role:
- Flawlessly handle 30-plus phone calls daily—sometimes two or three simultaneously—within the first month. Greet multiple visitors daily and make sure they’re comfortable and taken care of. You’ll provide concierge-level customer service to every caller and visitor.
- Extend the same concierge-level service to GLG’s employees and contractors by maintaining the kitchen area and conference rooms, setting up meetings, ordering office supplies and kitchen goodies, distributing mail and packages, running errands, and coordinating catering requests.
- With lots of ordering, you will also assist in credit card reconciliation for these associated expenses.
- You will be assisting in organizing in-office happy hours and social events and managing our monthly internal newsletter.
- You may be called on to perform office-related research. You’ll prioritize every request and act on each of them accordingly.
- You’ll learn to play Tetris…with calendars. You’ll help to schedule rooms, new-employee orientations, interviews, and people development / office events.
- You will send many companywide emails, so you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- You’ll provide administrative support in the form of benefits auditing, recruiting assistance, and special projects.
- You will be the welcoming face of GLG for new employees and contractors. You’ll prepare their desk for Day 1 and complete the orientation process for each as they are hired.
- You will become GLG’s go-to travel agent within a few months. You’ll befriend contacts at our preferred hotels and will have frequent-flier numbers, birth dates, and discount codes committed to memory. You will learn that the most convenient airport for our SOHO office is actually in Newark, New Jersey; and you might learn the hard way that Andover, Massachusetts, is 30 minutes from Boston Airport, but you should plan on at least one hour.
- Earn expert-level proficiency at every office system and machine over the first year. Learn to run remote meetings and audiovisual systems, fix copy jams, doctor the coffee machine, etc. When things don’t work right, often you’ll be the first one contacted.
- Identify where your interest lies for long-term career growth at GLG, and be open to opportunities outside your comfort zone along that track.
Because our agency moves at light speed , we need someone with mature judgment and the ability to make quick decisions and stand by them. A marketing background would help you understand our structure, culture, and jargon, but an interest in learning these details will work as well. Because this role involves phone coverage, a 7:45 a.m. start time is mandatory.
All positions at GLG require flexibility to occasionally work nights, weekends, and off-site at clients’ locations to meet clients’ needs.